A study plan provides a roadmap to prepare for a Texas Educator Certification Program
examination. It can help you understand what skills and knowledge are covered on
the exam and where to focus your attention. Creating a study plan will help you
organize your efforts. Follow the steps below to create your own study plan.
- Know what to expect: Identify the information the exam will cover by reading through
the test competencies that are in the preparation manual for the exam you are taking.
Within each domain of the exam, each competency will receive approximately equal
- Get the prep materials: Identify books, courses, and other resources you plan to
use for each content area.
- Establish a Strategy: Organize, create, and commit to a schedule that provides for
regular study periods. The study plan sheet will help you organize.
- Study: Stick to your study schedule! Don't wait until right before your exam to
begin preparing. You can also join a study group and prepare with others who are
planning to take the same exam.
- Practice: Practice taking the sample questions in the preparation manual to get
familiar with the types of questions on the exam and to find out where you may need
to focus your attention.
For additional information about preparing for an exam including, see Study
Tips: Preparing to Take a Texas Educator Certification Exam .