Section 6: Preparation Resources School Counselor (252)
The resources listed below may help you prepare for the TExES exam in this field. These preparation resources have been identified by content experts in the field to provide up-to-date information that relates to the field in general. You may wish to use current issues or editions to obtain information on specific topics for study and review.
external links on this page open in new window
- American Counseling Association Code of Ethics
- American School Counselor Association Ethical Standards for School Counselors
- Texas Administrative Code, Title 19, Part 7, Chapter 247, Rule §247.2, Code of Ethics and Standard Practices for Texas Educators
- Texas College, Career, and Military Readiness Standards
- Texas Education Code, Chapter 239 Student Services Certificates Subchapter A. School Counselor Certificate §239.15 https://tea.texas.gov/sites/default/files/2017_10_ch239a-two.pdf
- The Texas Model for Comprehensive School Counseling Programs
- ASCA School Counselor, American School Counselor Association
- The Journal of Counseling and Development, American Counseling Association
- The Journal of Professional Counseling: Practice, Theory, & Research, Texas Counseling Association
Bambrick-Santoyo, P. (2019). Driven by Data 2.0. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
Curry, J. R., & Milsom, A. (2017). Career and College Readiness Counseling in P–12 Schools (2nd ed). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
Hays, D. G. (2017). Assessment in Counseling: Procedures and Practices (6th ed). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
Hays, D. G., & Erford, B. T. (2017). Developing Multicultural Counseling Competence: A Systems Approach (3rd ed). New York, NY: Pearson Education, Inc.
Lemov, D. (2015). Teach Like a Champion 2.0 (2nd ed). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
McCormick, C. B., & Scherer, D. G. (2018). Child and Adolescent Development for Educators (2nd ed). New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
Remley, T. P., Rock, W. D., & Reed, R. M. (2017). Legal and Ethical Issues in School Counseling (4th ed). Alexandria, VA: American School Counselor Association.
Sklare, G. B. (2014). Brief Counseling That Works (3rd ed). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, Inc.
Stone, C. (2017). School Counseling Principles: Ethics and Law. Alexandria, VA: American School Counselor Association.
Texas Counseling Association (2018). The Texas Model for Comprehensive School Counseling Programs (5th ed). Austin, TX: Texas Counseling Association.
Texas Counseling Association (2020). The Texas Evaluation Model for Professional School Counselors (TEMPSC) (3rd ed). Austin, TX: Texas Counseling Association.
Vernon, A., & Schimmel, C. J. (2018). Counseling Children and Adolescents (5th ed). San Diego, CA: Cognella Academic Publishing.
Young, A., & Kaffenberger, C. (2018). Making DATA Work (4th ed.). Alexandria, VA: American School Counselor Association.
Zyromski, B., & Mariani, M. A. (2016). Facilitating Evidence-Based, Data-Driven School Counseling: A Manual for Practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Anti-Defamation League: 11 Ways Schools Can Help Students Feel Safe in Challenging Times https://www.adl.org/education/resources/tools-and-strategies/11-ways-schools-can-help-students-feel-safe-in-challenging#.WEnQQtUrLct
- Career Conversation Starters (PDF) (also available in Spanish) https://www.schoolcounselor.org/getmedia/de90a081-49d4-492f-ad75-c3f172114d5d/Career-Conversation-Starters.pdf
- Culturally Competent Crisis Response: Information for School Psychologists and Crisis Teams (PDF) https://www.schoolcounselor.org/getmedia/23e4f4b3-f1e0-4034-9694-bddaebfbe9af/cc_crisis-nasp.pdf
- Edutopia: Five Ways to Help Students in Trauma https://www.edutopia.org/article/5-ways-help-students-trauma-lori-desautels
- Facing History and Ourselves: Fostering Civil Discourse: A Guide for Classroom Conversations https://www.facinghistory.org/professional-development/ondemand/fostering-civil-discourse-part-i
- A Framework for Safe and Successful Schools (PDF) https://www.schoolcounselor.org/getmedia/5d8db08b-fbe1-44f8-9239-3d44ff046e5b/Framework-for-Safe-Successful-School-Environments.PDF
- Learning for Justice When Bad Things Are Happening https://www.learningforjustice.org/magazine/when-bad-things-are-happening
- Learning for Justice: To Sustain the Tough Conversations, Active Listening Must Be the Norm https://www.learningforjustice.org/magazine/to-sustain-the-tough-conversations-active-listening-must-be-the-norm
- Learning for Justice: Do Something: Student Tasks https://www.learningforjustice.org/classroom-resources/student-tasks/do-something
- Mental Health Community Resources https://tea.texas.gov/sites/default/files/covid/covid-19_mh_resources_4.3.20.pdf
- Model School District Policy on Suicide Prevention (PDF) https://www.datocms-assets.com/12810/1576931010-13820afspmodelschoolpolicybookletm1v3.pdf
- The National Association of School Psychologists: Guidance for Reinforcing Safe, Supportive and Positive School Environments for All Students https://www.nasponline.org/about-school-psychology/media-room/press-releases/nasp-guidance-for-reinforcing-safe-supportive-and-positive-school-environments-for-all-students
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network https://www.nctsn.org/
- Postsecondary Academic Career Conversations (PDF) https://www.schoolcounselor.org/getmedia/0b791faf-b061-4e54-bd7b-134a6fa19fa6/Career-Conversations-Postsecondary.pdf
- Project Restore: Trauma-Informed Training for Educators https://www.texasprojectrestore.org/
- Taking Care of Your Emotional Health https://emergency.cdc.gov/coping/selfcare.asp
- Texas Education Agency (TEA), College, Career, and Military Prep https://tea.texas.gov/academics/college-career-and-military-prep
- Texas Education Agency ( TEA) Grief Informed and Trauma Informed Practices https://tea.texas.gov/about-tea/other-services/mental-health/grief-informed-trauma-informed-practices
- Texas Education Agency (TEA), School Guidance and Counseling https://tea.texas.gov/academics/learning-support-and-programs/school-guidance-and-counseling
- Texas Education Agency (TEA), Special Education Rules and Regulations https://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=2147497444
- The Texas Model for Comprehensive School Counseling Programs, 5th ed. https://tea.texas.gov/sites/default/files/Pub_2018_Texas-Model_5th-Edition.pdf
- Texas OnCourse Counseling Academy https://texasoncourse.org/tools/texas-oncourse-academy/
- Texas Workforce Commission Labor Market and Career Information https://www.twc.texas.gov/businesses/labor-market-information
- The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning https://casel.org/
- What Works Clearinghouse https://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/
- American Counseling Association https://www.counseling.org/
- American School Counselor Association https://www.schoolcounselor.org/
- Lone Star State School Counseling Association https://www.lonestarstateschoolcounselor.org/
- Texas Counseling Association https://txca.org/
- Texas School Counselor Association https://txca.org/tsca/
Return to Navigation