Section 5: Preparation Resources Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing (181)
The resources listed below may help you prepare for the TExES exam in this field. These preparation resources have been identified by content experts in the field to provide up-to-date information that relates to the field in general. You may wish to use current issues or editions to obtain information on specific topics for study and review.
- Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, Oxford University Press.
Gregory, S., Knight, P., McCracken, W., Powers, S., and Watson, L. (2002) Reprinted. Issues in Deaf Education. London: David Fulton Publishers.
Marschark, M. (2009). Raising and Educating a Deaf Child: A Comprehensive Guide to the Choices, Controversies, and Decisions Faced by Parents and Educators, Second Edition. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press.
Marschark, M. and Hauser, P. (2011). How Deaf Children Learn: What Parents and Teachers Need to Know: First Edition. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press.
Marschark, M., Lang, H. G., and Albertini, J. A. (2002). Educating Deaf Students: From Research to Practice. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press.
Marschark, M., Tang, G., and Knoors, H. (2014). Bilingualism and Bilingual Deaf Education, First Edition. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press.
McAnally, P. L., Rose, S., and Quigley, S. P. (2007). Reading Practices with Deaf Learners, Second Edition. Austin, Texas: Pro ed.
Moores, D. F. (2001). Educating the Deaf: Psychology, Principles, and Practices, Fifth Edition. Boston, Mass.: Houghton Mifflin Company.
Ogden, P. W. (1996). The Silent Garden: Raising Your Deaf Child. Washington, District of Columbia: Gallaudet University Press.
Paul, P. V. (1997). Literacy and Deafness: The Development of Reading, Writing, and Literate Thought. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Allyn and Bacon.
Rose, S., McAnally, P. L., and Quigley, S. P. (2004). Language Learning Practices with Deaf Children, Third Edition. Austin, Texas: Pro ed.
Scheetz, N. A. (2000). Orientation to Deafness, Second Edition. Needham Heights, Mass.: Allyn and Bacon.
Schirmer, B. R. (2000). Language and Literacy Development in Children Who Are Deaf, Second Edition. Needham Heights, Mass.: Allyn and Bacon.
Spencer, P.E. and Marschark, M. (2005). Advances in the Spoken-Language Development of Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Children: First Edition. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press.
Stewart, D. A., and Clarke, B. R. (2003). Literacy and Your Deaf Child: What Every Parent Should Know. Washington, District of Columbia: Gallaudet University Press.
Stewart, D. A., and Kluwin, T. N. (2001). Teaching Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students: Content, Strategies, and Curriculum. Needham Heights, Mass.: Allyn and Bacon.
- Alexander Graham Bell Association for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing — www.agbell.org/
- American Society for Deaf Children — www.deafchildren.org/
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association — www.asha.org/
- Components of the Bill of Rights for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children — https://www.nad.org/resources/education/bill-of-rights-for-deaf-and-hard-of-hearing-children/
- Council on Education of the Deaf: CED and CEC Standards — councilondeafed.org/standards/
- Deaf Texas: Texan Deaf Community — www.deaftexas.org/
- Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education — www.jdsde.oxfordjournals.org/
- National Association of the Deaf — www.nad.org/
- Texas Education Agency — http://tea.texas.gov/
Return to Navigation