Section 7: Preparation Resources English Language Arts and Reading 7–12 (231)
The resources listed below may help you prepare for the TExES exam in this field. These preparation resources have been identified by content experts in the field to provide up-to-date information that relates to the field in general. You may wish to use current issues or editions to obtain information on specific topics for study and review.
- English Journal, National Council of Teachers of English.
- Instructor, Scholastic, Inc.
- Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, International Reading Association.
- Language Arts, National Council of Teachers of English.
- Reading Research Quarterly, International Reading Association.
- Research in the Teaching of English, National Council of Teachers of English.
- The Reading Teacher, International Reading Association.
- Voices from the Middle, National Council of Teachers of English.
Anderson, J., and Spandel, V. (2005). Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage and Style into Writer’s Workshop. Portland, Maine: Stenhouse Publishers.
Atwell, N., and Harwayne, S. (2007). The Reading Zone. New York, N.Y.: Scholastic Publishers.
Goudvis, A., and Harvey, S. (2007). Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement, Second Edition. Portland, Maine: Stenhouse Publishers.
Pinnell, G. S., and Fountas, I. C. (2007). The Continuum of Literacy Learning, Grades K–8: Behaviors and Understandings to Notice, Teach, and Support. Portsmouth, N.H.: Heinemann.
Pinnell, G. S., Fountas, I. C., and Giacobbe, M. E. (1998). Word Matters: Teaching Phonics and Spelling in the Reading/Writing Classroom. Portsmouth, N.H.: Heinemann.
Texas Education Agency. Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS).
Tompkins, G. (2010). Literacy for the 21st Century: a Balanced Approach, Fifth Edition. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Pearson.
Tyner, B., and Green, S. E. (2005). Small Group Reading Instruction Grades 3–8. Newark, Del.: International Reading Association.
Wagner, R. K., Muse, A. E., and Tannenbaum, K. R. (2007). Vocabulary Acquisition Implications for Reading Comprehension. New York, N.Y.: Guilford Press.
- College Board — https://research.collegeboard.org/
- Capital Community College Foundation, Guide to Grammar & Writing — http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/
- Education Oasis — http://www.educationoasis.com/
- Education Resources Information Center (ERIC) — https://eric.ed.gov/
- Florida Center for Reading Research — http://www.fcrr.org/
- International Literacy Association — https://www.literacyworldwide.org/
- National Council of Teachers of English — http://www2.ncte.org/
- National Writing Project— https://www.nwp.org/
- Navigating the ELPS, Using the New Standards to Improve Instruction for English Learners, Canter Press, John Seidlitz— https://www.region10.org/r10website/assets/File/Navigating%20the%20ELPS.pdf
- Paradigm Online Writing Assistant — https://www.powa.org/
- readwritethink — http://www.readwritethink.org/
- Texas Assistive Technology Network — http://www.texasat.net/
- Texas Education Agency — https://tea.texas.gov/
- The University of North Carolina School of Education/Learn NC — http://soe.unc.edu/resources/technology/support/learn/index.php
- Vaughn Gross Center for Reading and Language Arts Library, The University of Texas at Austin — https://www.meadowscenter.org/library
Many well-known colleges and universities have resources available through their writing centers including, but not limited to, the following:
- Boise State University — https://writingcenter.boisestate.edu/general-writing-handouts/
- Northern Illinois University/University Writing Center — https://www.niu.edu/uwc/index.shtml
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab — https://owl.purdue.edu/
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (The Writing Center) — https://writingcenter.unc.edu/
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock University Writing Center — https://ualr.edu/writingcenter/home/resources/handouts/
- Writing Center San Jose State University — http://www.sjsu.edu/writingcenter/onlineresources/
Return to Navigation