Section 6: Preparation Resources Educational Diagnostician (253)
The resources listed below may help you prepare for the TExES exam in this field. These preparation resources have been identified by content experts in the field to provide up-to-date information that relates to the field in general. You may wish to use current issues or editions to obtain information on specific topics for study and review.
- Texas Education Code, Chapter 239 Student Services Certificate Subchapter C. Educational Diagnostician Certificate §239.80 to §239.86
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) Standards Advanced Specialty Set: Special Education Diagnostician Specialist
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) Standards Initial Specialty Set: Individualized General Curriculum and Individualized Independence Curriculum, Combined
- Assessment for Effective Intervention, Council for Educational Diagnostic Services (a division of the Council for Exceptional Children)
- The DiaLog, Texas Educational Diagnosticians' Association
- American Psychiatric Association (2013). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (5th ed). Text Revision. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- Breaux, K. C., & Lichtenberger, E. O. (2016). Essentials of KTEA™–3 and WIAT®–III Assessment. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Brown-Chidsey, R., & Bickford, R. (2016). Practical Handbook of Multi-Tiered Systems of Support: Building Academic and Behavioral Success in Schools. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
- Burns, M. K., Riley-Tillman, C., & Rathvon, N. (2017). Effective School Interventions, Third Edition: Evidence-Based Strategies for Improving Student Outcomes. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
- Clark, A. G., & Dockweiler, K. A. (2020). Multi-Tiered Systems of Support in Elementary Schools (1st ed). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Clark, A. G., & Dockweiler, K. A. (2019). Multi-Tiered Systems of Support in Secondary Schools (1st ed). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Cook, A. M., Polgar, J. M., & Encarnação, P. (2020). Assistive Technologies: Principles and Practice (5th ed). St. Louis, MO: Mosby, Inc.
- Council for Exceptional Children (2015). What Every Special Educator Must Know: Ethics, Standards, and Guidelines (7th ed). Arlington, VA: Council for Exceptional Children.
- Dehn, M. J., Kaufman, A. S., & Kaufman, N. L. (2015). Essentials of Working Memory (Essentials of Psychological Assessment). Hoboken, N.J.: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Flanagan, D. P., & Alfonso, V. C. (2017). Essentials of WISC®–V Assessment. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Herrera, S. G., Cabral, R. M., & Murry, K. G. (2019). Assessment of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students (3rd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Heward, W. L., Alber-Morgan, S. R., & Konrad, M. (2018). Exceptional Children: An Introduction to Special Education (11th ed). Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- Hosp, M. K., Hosp, J. L., & Howell, K. W. (2016). The ABCs of CBM, Second Edition: A Practical Guide to Curriculum-Based Measurement. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
- Jimerson, S. R, Burns, M. K., & VanDerHeyden, A. M. (2016). Handbook of Response to Intervention: The Science and Practice of Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer.
- Mather, N., & Wendling, B. J. (2015). Essentials of WJ IV™ Tests of Achievement. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- McCart, A., & Miller, D. D. (2020). Leading Equity–Based MTSS for All Students (1st ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press, Inc.
- Riley-Tillman, C., Burns, M. K., & Kilgus, S. (2020). Evaluating Educational Interventions, Second Edition: Single-Case Design for Measuring Response to Intervention. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
- Salvia, J., Ysseldyke, J. E., & Witmer, S. (2016). Assessment in Special and Inclusive Education (13th ed). Boston, MA: Cengage Learning.
- Sattler, J. M. (2018). Assessment of Children: Cognitive Applications (6th ed). San Diego, CA: Jerome M. Sattler, Publisher, Inc.
- Schrank, F. A., Decker, S. L., & Garruto, J. M. (2016). Essentials of WJ IV™ Cognitive Abilities Assessment. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Turnbull, A., Turnbull, H. R., Wehmeyer, M. L., & Shogren, K. A. (2020). Exceptional Lives: Practice, Progress, & Dignity (9th ed). Hoboken, N.J.: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Assistive Technology Strategies, Tools, Accommodations and Resources (ATSTAR) https://learning.knowbility.org/
- Building RtI Capacity for Implementation in Texas Schools https://buildingrti.utexas.org/
- Center on Response to Intervention at American Institutes for Research https://rti4success.org/
- Child Find, Evaluation, and ARD Supports Network https://childfindtx.tea.texas.gov/index.html
- International Dyslexia Association https://dyslexiaida.org/testing-and-evaluation/
- Intervention Centralhttps://www.interventioncentral.org/
- IRIS Center https://iris.peabody.vanderbilt.edu/
- Learning Disabilities Association of America https://ldaamerica.org/
- Legal Framework for the Child-Centered Education Process http://framework.esc18.net/display/Webforms/LandingPage.aspx
- National Center on Accessible Educational Materials http://aem.cast.org/
- National Center on Intensive Intervention https://intensiveintervention.org/
- Research Institute on Progress Monitoring (RIPM) https://www.progressmonitoring.org/
- RtI Action Network http://www.rtinetwork.org/
- Texas Center for Learning Disabilities https://www.texasldcenter.org/
- Texas Dyslexia Handbook https://tea.texas.gov/sites/default/files/2018-Dyslexia-Handbook_Approved_Accomodated_12_11_2018.pdf
- Texas Education Agency (TEA), Special Education https://tea.texas.gov/academics/special-student-populations/special-education
- Texas Education Agency (TEA), Special Education Rules and Regulations www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=2147497444
- Texas Education Agency (TEA), Student Success Initiative https://tea.texas.gov/student.assessment/ssi/
- Texas Education Agency (TEA), Technical Assistance and Guidance Webpage https://tea.texas.gov/academics/special-student-populations/special-education/technical-assistance-and-guidance-0
- Texas Project First http://www.texasprojectfirst.org/
- Tiered Interventions Using Evidence Based Support (TIER) Network https://tier.tea.texas.gov/
- What Works Clearinghouse https://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/
- National Certification for Educational Diagnosticians https://www.ncedonline.org/
- Region 10 ESC Dal-Metro chapter of TEDA http://www.dalmetroteda.org/
- Region 4 ESC Hou-Met chapter of TEDA https://sites.google.com/site/houmetorg/
- Texas Educational Diagnosticians Association https://txeda.com/
- Texas Professional Educational Diagnosticians https://regped.com/
Return to Navigation