Section 5: Preparation Resources Journalism 7–12 (256)
The resources listed below may help you prepare for the TExES exam in this field. These preparation resources have been identified by content experts in the field to provide up-to-date information that relates to the field in general. You may wish to use current issues or editions to obtain information on specific topics for study and review.
- American Journalism Review, University of Maryland. https://www.ajr.org/
- Columbia Journalism Review, Columbia University. https://www.cjr.org/
- Communication: Journalism Education Today, Journalism Education Association. http://jea.org/home/for-educators/cjet
- The Journal of Electronic Publishing, University of Michigan Press. https://www.journalofelectronicpublishing.org/
- Journalism and Mass Communication Educator, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication. https://journals.sagepub.com/home/jmc
- Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication. http://www.aejmc.org/home/publications/jmc-quarterly
- Quill & Scroll, International Honorary Society for High School Journalists. https://quillandscroll.org/
Black, J., Steele, B., and Barney, R. (1998). Doing Ethics in Journalism: A Handbook with Case Studies. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
Burchfield, J., Jacobs, M., and Kokida, K. (2001). Photography in Focus, Fifth Edition. New York, NY: Glencoe/McGraw-Hill.
Ferguson, D. L., Patten, J., and Wilson, B. (2004). Journalism Today!, Sixth Edition. New York, NY: Glencoe/McGraw-Hill.
Gause, V. (2001). A Beginner's Guide to Media Communications. Lincolnwood, IL: National Textbook Company.
Goldstein, N. (Ed.) (1998). The Associated Press Stylebook and Libel Manual. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
Hall, H. L. (2008). High School Journalism. New York, NY: The Rosen Publishing Group.
Hall, H. L. (2010). Junior High Journalism. New York, NY: The Rosen Publishing Group.
Hall, H. L., and Kennedy, L. (1991). NSPA Yearbook Guidebook. Minneapolis, MN: National Scholastic Press Association.
Klaiman, A. E. (1991). Publishing the Literary Magazine. Chicago, IL: National Textbook Company.
Law of the Student Press, Second Edition. (1994). Washington, D.C.: Student Press Law Center, Inc.
Lewis, G. (1995). Photojournalism: Content & Technique, Second Edition. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
Martindale, C. (1993). Pluralizing Journalism Education: A Multicultural Handbook. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
Parker, R. C. (2003). Looking Good in Print, Third Edition. Phoenix, AZ: Paraglyph Press.
Plopper, B. L. (1992). The Problem-Solving Handbook for High School Journalism Advisers. Iowa City, IA: Quill and Scroll Foundation, University of Iowa Press
Shoemaker, P., and Reese, S. (1996). Mediating the Message: Theories of Influences on Mass Media Content. White Plains, NY: Longman Publishers.
Smith, H. F. (Ed.) (1996). Springboard to Journalism, Fifth Edition. New York, NY: Columbia Scholastic Advisers Association.
Teeter, Jr., D. L., Le Duc, D. R., and Loving, B. (2004). Law of Mass Communications: Freedom and Control of Print and Broadcast Media, Eighth Edition. New York, NY: Foundation Press.
Wulfemeyer, K. T. (2003). Beginning Radio-TV Newswriting: A Self-Instructional Learning Experience, Fourth Edition. Ames, IA: Iowa State University Press.
- American Society of News Editors (ASNE) — https://members.newsleaders.org/index.asp
- Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) — https://www.aaja.org/
- Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC) — http://www.aejmc.org/
- Association of Texas Photography Instructors (ATPI) — http://www.atpi.org/
- Columbia Scholastic Press Association (CSPA) — https://cspa.columbia.edu/
- Dow Jones News Fund Inc. (DJNF) — https://www.dowjonesnewsfund.org
- Interscholastic League Press Conference (ILPC) and University Interscholastic League (UIL) — https://www.uiltexas.org/journalism/ilpc
- Journalism Education Association (JEA) — http://www.jea.org/
- National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) — https://www.nabj.org/default.aspx
- National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ) — http://www.nahj.org/
- National Press Photographers Association (NPPA) — https://nppa.org/
- National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA) — http://studentpress.org/nspa
- National Gallery of Art (NGA) — https://images.nga.gov/en/page/show_home_page.html
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) — https://ncte.org/
- Newseum, the Interactive Museum of News — https://www.newseum.org/
- ReadWriteThink — http://www.readwritethink.org/
- Scholastic Journalism Resources — http://www.asjmc.org/resources/scholastic/
- Student Press Law Center (SPLC) — https://splc.org/
- Texas Association of Journalism Educators (TAJE) — https://www.taje.org/
Return to Navigation