Section 6: Preparation Resources Early Childhood: PK–3 (292)
The resources listed below may help you prepare for the TExES exam in this field. These preparation resources have been identified by content experts in the field to provide up-to-date information that relates to the field in general. You may wish to use current issues or editions to obtain information on specific topics for study and review.
- Texas Education Code, Chapter 235. Classroom Teacher Certification Standards, Subchapter B. Elementary School Certificate Standards, Division 1. Early Childhood: Prekindergarten–Grade 3
- §235.11. Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities Standards, Early Childhood: Prekindergarten–Grade 3 Texas Prekindergarten Guidelines, §235.13. Content Standards, Early Childhood: Prekindergarten–Grade 3, and §235.21. Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities Standards, Early Childhood–Grade 6
- Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), Texas Education Agency (TEA)
- Texas Prekindergarten Guidelines, Texas Education Agency (TEA)
- Young Children, National Association for the Education of Young Children
- Journal of Early Childhood Research, Sage Journals
- Early Childhood Education Journal, Springer
- Carpenter, T. P., Fennema, E., Franke, M. L., Levi, L., & Empson, S. B. (2015). Children's Mathematics: Cognitively Guided Instruction (2nd ed.). Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Cohen, D. H., Stern, V., Balaban, N., & Gropper, N. (2016). Observing and Recording the Behavior of Young Children (6th ed.). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Cohen, L. E., & Waite-Stupiansky, S. (2019). STEM in Early Childhood Education. New York, NY: Routledge.
- Craig, S. E., & Stevens, J. E. (2016). Trauma-Sensitive Schools: Learning Communities Transforming Children's Lives, K–5. New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Follari, L. M. (2011). Foundations and Best Practices in Early Childhood Education (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
- Galinsky, E. (2010). Mind in the Making: The Seven Essential Life Skills Every Child Needs (1st ed.). New York: NY: HarperCollins.
- Gartrell, D. (2012). Education for a Civil Society: How Guidance Teaches Young Children Democratic Life Skills (1st ed.). Washington, D.C. National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
- Gay, G. (2018). Culturally Responsive Teaching: Theory, Research, and Practice (Multicultural Education Series). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Honigsfeld, A. (2019). Growing Language and Literacy: Strategies for English Learners. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann.
- Lange, A. A., Brenneman, K., & Mano, H. (2019). Teaching STEM in the Preschool Classroom: Exploring Big Ideas with 3- to 5-Year Olds (Early Childhood Education Series). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Lemov, D. (2015). Teach Like a Champion 2.0: 62 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College (2nd ed.). San Francisco, CA: Wiley.
- Lent, R. (2012). Overcoming Textbook Fatigue (1st ed.). Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
- Marion, M. (2019). Guidance of Young Children (10th ed.). Hudson, NY: Pearson.
- Moss, C. M., & Brookhart, S. M. (2012). Learning Targets: Helping Students Aim for Understanding in Today's Lesson (1st ed.). Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
- Ruggiano-Schmidt, P., & Lazar, A. M. (2011). Practicing What We Teach: How Culturally Responsive Classrooms Make a Difference (1st ed.). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Searle, M. (2013). Causes and Cures in the Classroom: Getting to the Root of Academic and Behavior Problems (1st ed.). Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
- Siegel, D. J., & Bryson, T. P. (2011). The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Proven Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind (1st ed.). New York, NY: Delacorte Press.
- Souto-Manning, M. (2013). Multicultural Teaching in the Early Childhood Classroom (1st ed.). New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- TESOL International Association (TESOL). (2018). The 6 Principles for Exemplary Teaching of English Learners: Grades K–12. Alexandria, VA: TESOL Press.
- Tomlinson, C. A. (2017). How to Differentiate Instruction in Academically Diverse Classrooms (3rd ed.). Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
- Tomlinson, C. A., & Moon, T. R. (2013). Assessment and Student Success in a Differentiated Classroom (1st ed.). Alexandria, VA: ASCD.
- Turnbull, A., Turnbull, H. R., Wehmeyer, M. L., & Shogren, K. A. (2019). Exceptional Lives: Practice, Progress, and Dignity in Today's Schools (9th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.
- Wright, W. (2019). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Policy, and Practice (3rd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, Inc.
- Act Early Texas!— https://actearlytexas.org/Resources.aspx
- Early Childhood Outcomes and PreK guidelines alignment document— https://tea.texas.gov/sites/default/files/Early_Childhood_Outcomes_FINAL.pdf
- Teach Like a Champion— www.teachlikeachampion.com
- Teaching Tolerance (digital magazine)— https://www.tolerance.org/
- TEKS-aligned resources— https://www.texasgateway.org/
- The Children's Learning Institute— cliengage.org
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC), Division for Early Childhood (DEC)— https://www.dec-sped.org/
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)— https://www.naeyc.org/
Return to Navigation